TTOCS & NON-Headcount Teachers (teachers that do not have a contract as of October 21) can access $300 for Pro-D Events on a first come, first served basis (including up to $150 for Pro-D Books and up to $250 for Tuition). TTOC’s must have worked a minimum of 2 days in the previous pay period to be eligible for funds.
- Workshops or conferences noted below make up the majority of Pro-D opportunities in the province and are considered standard events. These events do not require pre-approval from our Pro-D committee, as long as they are located in BC.
- Provincial Specialist Association
- Local Specialist Association
- Local Pro-D Committee
- Other Pro-D Events approved and promoted directly on the STA Homepage
- Classroom Observations (located in the CRD)
- Post-Secondary credit/non-credit coursework up to a limit of $250 per school year,from the annual collective fund allotment.
- All members attending events on instructional days complete an LOA form https://sooketeachers.org/pro-d-expense-claim/ a minimum of 10 business days in advance. It is STA policy that all teachers be replaced, including non-enrolling positions.
Alternative Pro-D Events
- There are a variety of professional learning opportunities offered by specialist groups, businesses, universities or other parties that could be acceptable use of Pro-D funds, as alternative events.
- Before applying for funding for an alternative event, members are encouraged to consider the factors the Pro-D Committee must assess to determine whether or not to approve the funding claim: STA Pro-D Policy, the BCTF Pro-D Lens and Canada Revenue Agency. (see sections 3.3, 3.4, and Appendix B)
- Pre-Approval applications must be received at least 15 days prior to the event, but one month’s lead time is strongly recommended.
- Pre-approval must demonstrate relevance to the applicant’s teaching practice now or in the future.
- Each member must submit their own individual application.
- Alternative Pro-D claims can include classroom observations outside of the CRD.
- Alternative Pro-D claims can include conferences or workshops held outside of BC, provided that they:
- are a significant workshop or conference,
- are currently unavailable in BC (including similar offerings),
- present costs that are deemed reasonable by the Pro-D committee, and
- do not have students in care for any portion of the event
- Special consideration can be granted for any event or activity.
- All members attending events on instructional days must complete an LOA form https://sooketeachers.org/pro-d-expense-claim/ a minimum of 10 business days in advance. It is STA policy that all teachers be replaced, including non-enrolling positions