STA Chair: Diane Wiens
Donated by the TEACHERS OF SOOKE DISTRICT
The members of the Sooke Teachers Association are proud to offer six scholarships to the students of School District # 62. These will be available to graduating students attending full-time post secondary school. Scholarship awards will be in the amount of $1,000.
Five of the scholarships offered by the Sooke Teachers’ Association are named after one of our Past Presidents who dedicated themselves to the Union, their colleagues and their students. They believed strongly in education, respect and the celebration of students who lead by example. The sixth scholarship will be reserved for an Aboriginal student and is named in honour of Loretta Deutscher, who taught and advocated for recognition of our Aboriginal students.
The scholarships last year for 2018 were:
- The Kathleen MacKinnon (1992-1995)
- The Bronwyn Taylor (1988-1992)
- The John Bergbusch (1982-1985)
- The Terry McKellar (1980-1982)
- The Laurie Tighe (1995-1997)
- The Loretta Deutscher Scholarship
Please note: Three of these awards are reserved for students whose parents are current members of the Sooke Teachers’ Association and who may not actually attend a Sooke District school. The specific awards given to children of STA members will vary depending on the qualifications and intentions of the applicant. The Loretta Deutscher scholarship is reserved for a deserving Aboriginal student. In both cases if no one qualifies, then the award will be given based on the following criteria.
CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION
- The interview
- Leadership in service to and in support of others
- Financial need
- Academic standing
HOW STUDENTS APPLY:
To apply for all six of our scholarships students fill out an application (Applications will be available in the new year 2019) and submit it to the counselling office or to the STA office before the deadline.
Scholarship Winner Information for 2018:
- The Scholarship cheques are issued once proof of enrollment and attendance at a Post-Secondary Institution has been presented to the STA office.
- The Verification of Enrollment is obtained from the office of the Registrar, once you are physically attending.
- Please note that it does take a few days to process the cheque once the required documentation has been received.
- You or your designate (only recognized as such if the student contacts us) parent/guardian must pick up the cheque and SIGN for it.
- This will be the ONLY cheque issued. If you find you do not need it after all, instead of just not cashing it, it would be appreciated if you would notify STA office.
- On behalf of the Sooke Teachers’ Association and the Scholarship Committee, we offer congratulations to you and extend best wishes for success in the future.